Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why is it hot in England?

Canterbury Cathedral

Today was the first day we went into the town of Canterbury; I have fallen in love with it. It embodies so much of what I've desired to see in England. It has the quaintness of a town in the countryside and the excitement of a popular city. It was less than a 30 minutes walk from my room to the "main streets" of the city, and the walk itself is through some beautiful parks and suburbs, so that in itself is enjoyable too. What was very strange today was that it was hot. I was told to bring all of this heavy, thick clothing for England's frigid weather and I'm sweating like crazy! I guess I should enjoy it while I can, because I know cold weather is just around the corner.

A Stream through the city of Canterbury

As you can imagine, I got really excited at the sight of this store

In Canterbury we first had to go visit the cathedral. It was absolutely stunning! As students at Kent, we get in for free whenever we want (Score!) so I can go back anytime. We didn't do a guided tour this time, but I hope to do one soon so I can learn a little about the history of the cathedral.

View from the Cathedral Great Cloister

A small chapel inside the cathedral

This weekend there is a food and wine festival going on in the main streets of Canterbury that I can't wait to go to! It'll be a good way to sample different foods of their culture. Today there was a fruit stand in the street that was full of delicious fruits (greengages, strawberries, avocado, figs, etc.) all grown locally. I can't wait to try more of their local foods.


I am starting to feel more settled in here, and I'm getting to know more people which is always good. I honestly was a little nervous for a while and feeling unsettled, but I know God has purpose for this situation. Thank you all for your prayers! Cheers!

Here is a picture of my room. It is quite an upgrade from the triple dorm I lived in Freshman year at UCSD :)

1 comment: