Monday, September 20, 2010

International Prayer

Today was my first full day in Canterbury. Spencer and I were both a bit lost at first, not knowing what we were supposed to do, but we eventually figured it out. There were a few orientation meetings (they called them Inductions), and then we met with the Christian Union, a Christian organization on campus. There were a lot of wonderful people there, and it was nice to meet so many friendly people. It made me feel connected like I was at Upper Room at UCSD. This evening they hosted an "International Dinner" where students could meet and be introduced to the committee (leadership team).

At the International Dinner, there were tons of people from all over the world (Germany, France, Great Britain, Africa, and even Illinois). The president of the committee introduced himself and led a short prayer. It was so amazing to pray with people of so many cultures, backgrounds, and stories. All of us came together and were unified in Christ. It was really amazing.

Kent Uni (that's what the call Universities here) is known as the "European Uni of the UK" because it has such a high percentage of foreign students (around 45% of the students are from other countries, many of whom stay for a whole degree program). In my corridor there are 2 Danish girls, a Hungarian man, Spencer, and me; that shows you how diverse the community is here. It has been a wonderful first day, and I can't wait to go into the town tomorrow and see what Canterbury is like. Love you all!

Fact of the Day: I've been told by some new British friends that apple pie, pb&j sandwiches, Reeses peanut butter cups, and hot dogs are very American to them. I told them I had a pb&j for lunch today (which I really did) and they were all amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment