Sunday, September 19, 2010

Goodbye London, Hello Canterbury


I've spent the last five days exploring the streets of central London (thank God for the new comfortable shoes I got before I left). I spent the first 2 and a half days with my friend Spencer, getting to every free museum and attraction their is in London, which is quite a lot. We went to everything from the infamous Westminster Abbey to the British Museum, which is packed full of historic pieces, like the Rosetta stone and parts of the Parthenon. One of my favorite things to see was the British Library, where ancient texts and original classics were held, like the original hand-written Alice in Wonderland as well as the Magna Carta.

Me at Kings Cross (my cross), which is well known for Platform "9 and 3 Quarters."

Weather has been surprisingly comfortable so far, which has been perfect since we were outdoors most of the time. The streets were filled with so many places to eat, so we got a very eclectic mix of meals these past few days. My first meal had to be something traditionally English, so I had a meat pie, which was very tasty and inexpensive (two things I really appreciate). I also got to enjoy Korean food, Thai food (my favorite kind), and Chinese food. However, my favorite meal, by far, was our trip to the Bourough Market, where I got to sample many kinds of foods. Needless to see, English food hasn't disappointed yet (then again, I've only been in London so far).

A homeless man on the bank of the Thames made this amazing sand sculpture.

Later, I got to meet a number of people at our orientation in London. It was nice to get to know some other Americans after a few days of feeling very foreign. We did even more sight seeing, had some orientation meetings, and then headed off to our university. I am now sitting in my room in Canterbury, where I'll be living for the next 3 months. I've said goodbye to London for now (I'm sure I will be back). The campus is beautiful here. I can't wait to go into the city and see what Canterbury is like.


Adjustment has been tough at times, but it has been quite a wonderful experience. I can't wait to see what God has in store next. Love you all! Thanks for being patient while I figure out this whole blogging deal. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i cant wait to see what God has in store for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look like such a typical tourist with your new camera haha I love it! totally jealous you're there, but I'm glad you're having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete