Thursday, November 18, 2010

Three Unique "Must-Do's" of Canterbury, England

As I have been enjoying some more down time in Canterbury, I've decided to share with you three small pleasures that have caught my attention in my time here. Although they might not be popular tourist attractions, they are things that I have found as a local of Canterbury to be some of my favorite experiences.


#1: Oxfam Bookstore - Oxfam is a charity company found throughout the UK working to raise money to fight poverty in the world. Not only are they a compassionate company, but their bookstore here in Canterbury is the best I've ever seen. From the outside, it doesn't look like much (as you can see in my picture), but it's in the quality and affordability of their book selection that I grabbed my attention. The shelves are stacked with classical treasures, written as far back as the early 1700's. Some of my favorite finds so far have been a collection of Charles Dickens books for the late 1800's, a Bible written in the original Greek from the mid 1800's, and of course multiple copies of the Harry Potter series in their British edition (which I have been collecting in my time here). In addition, these books only ran around £3-£6 (less than $10) each, much cheaper than anything I could find in La Jolla's famous old bookshop or those back in Long Beach. I could literally spend hours in Oxfam Books. If you ever find yourself in Canterbury, this bookstore is a must.


#2: Starbucks - You might be thinking, "Kevin, are you kidding me? Starbucks?" but think again. The Starbucks here in Canterbury isn't like any Starbucks I have seen. This one is found in one of the oldest buildings in Canterbury, just next door to the world famous Canterbury Cathedral. The coffee shop, built in 1437, is full of rooms where one could sit down with a nice book and coffee, or just chat it up with some friends. The best spots in the house are in the very back rooms, which have windows facing the Cathedral. It is almost unreal to sit in a Starbucks, something we see every 100 yards in California, and be able to look out on one of the most amazing church buildings in England. So, in answer to the question I'm sure you all first asked when you saw 'Starbucks' on my list: No I am not kidding. This is my favorite place to sit and relax in all of Canterbury.


#3: Galaxy Chocolate - OK, this is not exactly a Canterbury specialty, as you can find it in all of England, but it definitely deserves to be on the list. Those who know me, know well that when it comes to chocolate, I do not kid around. I almost always have some in supply, in case of chocolate-craving-emergencies, and my love for chocolate has become so evident, that some of my friends decided to get me a 10lbs chocolate bar for my birthday last year. I do have my favorites that you can get back at home (in order: Milka, Guittard, Ghirardelli, Lindt, and Cadbury), but Galaxy Chocolate (which we cannot get back in the States) is the only common-brand chocolate I have found that is on the same level as Milka to me. I am already deciding what clothes I must leave here so that I can fill my suitcase with Galaxy Chocolate bars. It is that good. I don't know how they do it, but the chocolate melts in your mouth better than any other brand I have eaten. They have milk, dark, cookie crumble, caramel, and more (my favorites are milk and cookie crumble). If you go to England, even if you are not the biggest lover of chocolate, you must get Galaxy chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. Picking up UK HP books would be at the top of my list! Did you get your copy of the Philosophers Stone? I read somewhere that they "dumbed down" some of the words in our books and I would be interested to see how they differ.
    Love reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin! It is a rainy day here in Bakersfield, and I am sitting by the fire and just caught up on all your blog posts that I have been behind on reading. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning.... I feel like I am in Canterbury! I enjoy enjoy enjoy your writing and your pictures and hearing what God is doing in your life! Thanks for making my Saturday morning so enjoyable. I only wish I was in the Starbucks in Canterbury instead of Bakersfield!! :)
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so im already making of list of things you need to bring home -and Dark Galaxy Chocolate is definitely on my list ;-)
    i love ALL of your pictures, as always :) I can't believe that your time there will be coming to an end shortly, not to burst your bubble or anything :) heh.
    But I will definitely be awaiting you arrival in December! I can't wait to chat more and see the pictures in full size and quality! I'm so glad you got to see familiar faces this past weekend and week- can't wait to read your blog! I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving day in Canterberry! I remember when I was in Italy during Thanksgiving day I ate McDonalds - so do me a favor and eat something better than that! Oh, and eat some dark Galaxy for me, thanks!
    miss you :)

    ReplyDelete