Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peacefulness

This week in Canterbury can best be described as peaceful. No rushing around, no overwhelming stresses, just peace. The past three days have each brought me joy in different ways.



Monday: I had turned in my essay for my Greek Art and Architecture class, worth 80% of my grade, and it was a relief to be done. Then, it was on to my next one, also worth 80% of my grade, for my Religion in Ancient Greece class. I had been doing some research on women and their role in Ancient Greek religion, so I spent (besides some time to eat) my whole day writing. I had a week to work on it, and plenty of time in the week to do it, so I was not stressed about it. Amazingly, the paper seemed to write itself, and before I knew it I had finished just before it was time for dinner. It was refreshing to finish, and to do so without the weight of stress pushing me through; instead it was an enjoyable time to write. It was a good day. I finished off the day with an episode of Top Chef, my new nightly ritual, and was ready to rest up for a new day.


Tuesday: I slept in a bit, but it was nice. I decided since I was cooped up all day inside writing the day before, I would take a walk around places on campus I had not yet seen. Our university sits up on a hill overlooking the city, surrounded by it's own barrier of beautiful trees and grassy hills. In fear of sounding redundant, it was so peaceful to stroll through the trees and be surrounded by the colors of fall in the crisp English air. The pictures in this post were from this walk around our campus. After my afternoon, it was off to class, followed by an evening with friends and then rest.


Wednesday (Today): I went into town in the late morning and decided to do some reading in one of the town's Starbucks. I wish I had brought my camera with me to show you all where I sat with my Peppermint Mocha (yes, the Christmas flavors are back). The Starbucks sat next to the entrance to the Canterbury, which I showed you in one of my earlier posts. The building the Starbucks is held in was built back in the 1200's, and in the backroom of this old structure, I sat next to the window, looking out at the magnificent cathedral towering over me. It has become my new favorite place to sit and read a book, talk with friends, or just stare out the window in awe. After a little reading, I sat down with my friend Josh and talked with him about life and such for a while in Starbucks. He is planning on coming out to California to stay with Spencer and me for a while, and I can't wait! I finished my time in town browsing the farmers market and local bookstores before I headed back up the hill to campus. Again, a day defined by peace.


It has been so great to experience peace, as I am a person who can rarely calm the many storms brewing in my mind. Again, God is teaching me things about myself that I did not even know were there.


As for tomorrow, Spencer and I had or class canceled, so we are off to London for the day to stand in the rain at the Harry Potter red carpet premiere evening. My goal: be a ridiculous fan and get as many photographs, videos, and autographs as possible. I think if J.K. Rowling even looks at me, I might die. I will be sure to tell you all about it when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment