Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Work and Rest

These past two weeks have been an enjoyable time but I have had a little more work to do for my classes because of some presentations and essays that fall around this time of the term. Although it has been work than the earlier weeks, I am still enjoying the people and places around me, as well as the subjects I'm diving into here at school. Last week I gave a presentation on cults of Apollo in Sparta for my Ancient Greek Religion class and now I am writing a paper on a Greek temple of Hera in Southern Italy for my Greek Art and Architecture class. I have truly been blessed with classes here that are so intriguing.

My Greek friend and "Kitchen-mate" Stef

For some good study breaks, Spencer and I would either spend time with some friends or go exploring. A few days ago we decided to take a hike through the Blean woods, a local forest in Kent. Again I was made speechless and the beauty of the creation around me. It was both overwhelming and peaceful at the same time. Pure grace.

Blean Woods

Holly in the woods

Local fields near Blean and Canterbury

Today, for yet another break from our studies, Spencer and I went into town to have lunch at a local pub. After lunch we ran some errands and decided to check out a few places in Canterbury we had yet to explore. We discovered a really great farmers market in town called the Goods Shed. It was a unique building and full of real Kentish foods. We also found the St. Augustine Abbey, which was really just the ruins of the Abbey. We couldn't go on the Abbey grounds because it was closed when we got there, but we will be sure to return and check it out. After that we went to the site of the King's School, a secondary school here in Canterbury. It sounds silly that we would go to a high school for fun, but this school is believed to be the oldest running school in the world. It began in the 600s and was started by St. Augustine himself. It was full of beautiful, aged buildings. I hope we can get onto the school grounds sometime and get a better look.

The Goods Shed

Produce from "the shed"

Part of the King's School/Old entrance to St. Augustine Abbey

St. Augustine Abbey

This weekend I am off to Paris to spend time with my friends and celebrate my 21st birthday. I am so excited, and the nerd inside of me can't wait to overstimulate my eyes with breathtaking art and architecture. I will be sure to share some pictures when I return.

I am learning more and more that God brought me here to think. It sounds ridiculous that I would have to get 1000's of miles away from home just to rest and think, but it's true. It is so easy for me to be busy; it's almost painful for me to not be. Here, God has taught me to stop and not be pained by the thought of rest. It's like I am now having to breathe in all these thoughts and ideas that I have been "too busy" to deal with and my lungs can barely hold it all in. God's given me a time to rest so that I can breathe normally again. For that, I am so thankful.

2 comments:

  1. is it impossible to take a bad picture? probably not! every picture i see is breathtaking! i can honestly say God has been ever gracious in gving me time to breathe. This has been one of the most chaotic, time consuming, busy semesters, and it is probably the closest I have ever been to God. God has been blessing me with the desires of my heart, making time for anyting and everything I want and need to do and I believe it's simply because I trust that he will provide for me. God never has and never will fail me. I pray that you continue to stop and breathe. To soak in everything you are experiencing. Keep taking pictures.. I am getting more jealous by the minute! miss you friend...and oh... have SO MUCH FUN on your 21st!!! Unfortunately we aren't there to spend it with you---but no worries. once u are home we will celebrate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures Kevin....I love that God has brought you to such a beautiful place to think and breathe. I have been reading Henri Nouwen, and your words remind me of his writings on being silent and sollitude and being able to hear God. Have you ever read any of his books? They are really good, I learning so much about silence and solitude and listening to the Lord!

    oh, and Happy Birthday.....

    ReplyDelete